Thailand Marriage

It’s very easy to get married in Thailand for a foreigner. You probably don’t need help from a law firm. However, should you wish, we can help you.

There are 4 steps:

  • 1) Get an AFFIRMATION OF FREEDOM TO MARRY from your embassy (document A)
  • 2) Make a translation of that affirmation in Thai (document B)
  • 3) Legalized documents A + B
  • 4) Get married at any amphur or Khet, in Thailand.

PS: Do note that most amphur are now requiring a translation of your passport, and sometimes, even a legalized translation.


For the first step, you have to appear in person with your passports at your Embassy in Thailand to complete declarations attesting that you are single and free to marry in accordance with Thai Law. Some embassies will require more documents than others, like previous divorces certificates or judgments, death certificate of a former spouse, etc. Some embassies do not require anything. A law can NOT do that for you. You really have to appear in person, be physically there.

For steps 2 and 3, a law firm or an agency can help you but you should be able to do it yourself if you follow there:
1. a.Take the completed declaration (affirmation of freedom to get married, sometimes called affidavit) to a reputable translation office to have it translated into Thai.
b. Take the 2 documents, the one from your embassy and the Thai translation. Bring them with copies of passports have to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department (address: 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 Tel: (66-2) 575-1056-60 Fax: 575-105. It’s on the second floor. You will bring the document one day, and pick up the legalized documents the next day.

You are ready to get married with documents A + B legalized and your passport. To get married, you must submit these documents to the District Registrar (Amphur) who will register the marriage and issue a marriage certificate in Thai.

Remember that in case of a woman is a widow or a divorcee (lady), the dissolution of the former marriage must have taken place at least 310 days before the next marriage. Doctor’s pregnancy test is accepted if the time between the former marriage and the next marriage is less than 310 days, but this rule shall not apply if;
1. a. a child has been born during such period or
b. the divorced couple remarry, or
c. there is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry.

In some cases, the documents together with its translation must be submitted to the Amphur at least one day prior to the marriage registration day. However, each registration office can have its own rules so you better double check with them. For more information, please log in the web site of Provincial Administration Department or get in touch with our experts.

We also arrange Marriage services find out more here

In pattaya you may wish to check our sister site

Recent Posts
Post categories

Enquiry form

Fill out the form below and we will
contact you as soon as possible!

Dropdown Example

    Schedule an Appointment